Free Initial Consultation (212) 858-0503

Tap Here To Call Us

Cases Against Municipalities

If you were injured in an accident because of a negligent act of a City, Town or Village, board of education, public authority, chances are that you need to file a notice of claim. A notice of claim is a simple form which must generally be filed within 90 days of the accident. If the notice of claim is not filed on time, you cannot file a lawsuit unless you apply for special permission known as leave of court to file an untimely notice of claim.

Common examples of cases in which notices of claims must be filed are car accidents with police, fire and sanitation vehicles. Accidents involving buses or trains also generally require a notice of claim. Likewise, trips and falls on a broken street or sidewalk often require a notice of claim. Also any construction accident involving either City or municipal property or public authority property such as the School Construction Authority, the Port Authority and the New York City Transit Authority. Also negligence and medical malpractice cases against public hospitals such as the New York Health and Hospital Corporation, require a notice of claim. Playground accidents on public property such as City parks and public schools also require a notice of claim.

Many people who try do to notice of claims themselves, often file them with the wrong municipality or governmental entity. Many people think any accident involving a public bus, train or public property in New York City is against the City, however most bus and train accidents involve the New York City Transit Authority or the New York Bus Company. Likewise, many school accidents, especially in Long Island require that the notice of claim be filed with a school district, not the town or city. Likewise, the New York Health and Hospital Corporation must be served for accidents and medical malpractice at public hospitals such as Harlem Hospital, Bellevue Hospital and Elmhurst Hospital. Likewise, for construction accidents involving Ground Zero, the notice of claim must be filed with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Our New York personal injury lawyers have prepared and filed thousands of notices of claims for accidents in New York City including the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan. Our New York accident attorneys have also prepared numerous notices of claims for personal injury cases involving Greenburgh, New Rochelle and Yonkers. Consultations with our New York personal injury lawyers are always free. Our accident lawyers have also worn numerous special petitions for clients who retain us after the 90 day period and have successfully litigated these claims.

If you sustained personal injuries because of an accident involving a municipality contact our New York personal injury or accident lawyers right away because blowing the 90 day time frame can result in you not being able to sue.

Consultations are always free and there is never a fee unless you win money.

The Law Offices of Michael H. Joseph