Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Were you hit by a car while walking the streets of New York City? Our law office can help with all aspects of your pedestrian accident case.
Driver negligence causes thousands of pedestrian accidents that lead to serious injuries to people who are simply walking across the street.
Learn how the Law Office of Michael H. Joseph, PLLC in Manhattan and White Plains, NY, can win you financial compensation.
Don't Wait to Seek Representation Contact Our Law Office Today
Were you injured in a pedestrian accident? Our New York City injury lawyers can handle all areas of your case and work to recover your damages. Contact our personal injury attorneys today to request your free consultation.
Quality Representation, Outstanding Results "We won big!"
"I was blessed to have chosen Michael Joseph as my personal injury attorney. He did an outstanding job and fought hard, to get me the most money I deserved for my case. We won big!" By Google reviewer LAWRENCE NEF, 2022
Are Pedestrian Accidents Common? 2021 Was the Deadliest on NYC Streets
"Traffic accidents killed 273 people in New York City last year, making 2021 the deadliest year on the city’s streets in recent history."
I've Been Involved in a Pedestrian Accident What Should I Do Now?
People frequently call our New York City and White Plains, NY, offices and tell our pedestrian injury attorneys, "I was a pedestrian hit by a car in NYC today. What do I do?" The answer can be confusing because one moment you are crossing the street, and the next you are hit by a car and on your way to the hospital with no information. If you are able to, follow these steps:
Our injury lawyers are here to handle all aspects of your case so you can focus on healing.
Injured in a Pedestrian Accident? Contact Us for a Free Consultation
The New York City pedestrian injury attorneys at the Law Office of Michael H. Joseph, PLLC have been protecting New York City and White Plains, NY, area pedestrians who have been hit by cars and other motor vehicles for over two decades. If the driver of the vehicle was negligent, they can and should be held accountable for their actions, whether you suffered minor or serious injuries.
Mr. Joseph and his team can review the facts of your pedestrian accident case and help you file a pedestrian accident lawsuit in New York City or Westchester. Our experienced New York pedestrian accident lawyers have helped many pedestrian accident clients receive significant financial verdicts and settlements that helped them pay for medical bills and other expenses. Requesting a free consultation using our online form or by calling us is the first step. Let us focus on your case so you can focus on healing from your pedestrian accident.
Read What Our Satisfied Clients Have to Say
I was treated professionally and extremely happy with the ability Michael had on getting me the money I was owed. He is smart and efficient! I would use him again in a heartbeat.View on Google
Michael H. Joseph was there for me all the way through a complex and difficult case. He explained everything in great detail. I am very pleased!View on Google
$3,850,000 What We Secured for a New York Pedestrian Accident Victim
Our law office secured a $3,850,000 settlement in Queens for a pedestrian hit by a car. The victim suffered head injuries when the car blew through a red light.
Common Questions Our Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Recieve
Do I Have to Prove the Driver's Guilt?
No. Our Manhattan pedestrian accident lawyers will tell you that a pedestrian hit by a car or truck does not have to prove the driver was at fault to get no-fault benefits, which are payments of your medical expenses and lost earnings.
Can I Sue the Driver That Hit Me?
Yes. Our Manhattan personal injury lawyers know that pedestrians have the right of way. We understand both New York state and New York City’s rules for pedestrians in a crosswalk. If a pedestrian is hit in a crosswalk by a turning vehicle, that vehicle violated New York's Vehicle and Traffic law. So, yes, you can sue if you suffered an injury. Our NYC pedestrian accident attorneys know the law and will fight to hold careless drivers accountable for their actions.
Can You Help Me File a Lawsuit if I Couldn't Get the Driver's Information?
Absolutely. Our pedestrian accident lawyers know exactly how to find the driver's information and determine the insurance company that is responsible for paying for your medical bills. Our New York City pedestrian accident lawyers can get these benefits set up the same day we meet with you.
Where Can I Find the Insurance Information?
This information can be found on the accident report, which is available at the police department or precinct that responded to the accident. Or, you can get a copy of the accident report online at the New York Department of Motor Vehicle's website after about a week. You can find out the driver's insurance company by looking at the police report. The standard New York police motor vehicle accident reports have a DMV insurance code box, which will identify the insurance company for the driver who hit you. Our attorneys will gather this information if we take on your case.
Choose the New York Law Firm That Will Fight For You
Contact Our Law Office Today
If you were a pedestrian seriously injured by a neglectful driver, you could be dealing with expensive bills for medical services, physical therapy, and mental health services for the rest of your life. Plus, you may be unable to work and provide for your family due to your injuries. Do not let a tight-fisted insurance company talk you into settling for reduced compensation. Contact us instead.
No matter whether you were hit by a car, truck, or bus, our attorneys have the experience to win your case and get you the fair financial compensation that you deserve. Our personal injury lawyers only represent the injured and never have and never will work for insurance companies. Request your free consultation today online or by phone while the accident facts are fresh in your mind and in the mind of any witnesses.
Call Us When You Have Nowhere Else To Turn
"Michael took my case when no one else would. He worked very, very, hard to get the job done. He was very prompt and professional and I have nothing but the highest regards for him and his staff. Excellent lawyer." Larry Stein
Important New York Vehicle and Traffic Laws
Our personal injury lawyers have won significant pre-trial settlements for our pedestrian accident clients based upon evidence that the driver violated these vehicle and traffic laws:
- When there are no traffic-control signals, the driver of a car or truck must yield the right of way by slowing down or stopping if need be to yield to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk, except that any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overpass has been provided shall yield the right of way to all vehicles. Also, the same law requires that when any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of another vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.
- This traffic law states that where sidewalks are provided, pedestrians must be allowed to use them safely. This law is particularly important in New York City, where parking lots often require cars to travel over publicly traveled sidewalks. In other words, when a car is exiting a parking lot or driveway and there are pedestrians walking on the sidewalk, the driver has the responsibility to leave the parking lot or driveway in a safe manner.
- Pedestrians have the right of way to cross a street when they are facing a green light within a crosswalk. If you have a green light, cars must yield to you. If you suffer personal injuries while crossing with the walk signal in your favor, the driver of the vehicle should be held responsible.
- This law requires every driver of a vehicle, including cars, trucks, and buses, to exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian.
- This prohibits drivers from turning on a roadway unless and until such movement can be made with reasonable safety. So cars must keep a proper lookout when turning in order to avoid colliding with any pedestrians.
Traffic Rule 34 RCNY 4-03(a)(1)(i)
- This requires vehicles with a green light, which are turning right or left, to yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully within the intersection or an adjacent crosswalk. So even though a car, truck, or bus has a green light, the pedestrian still has a superior right of way. The vehicle legally must yield.
Traffic Rule 34 RCNY 4-03(a)(1)(ii)
- This gives pedestrians facing a green signal the right of way to proceed across the roadway within the crosswalk. So if the pedestrian has begun crossing the street and the light changes, the pedestrian still has the right to continue to cross the street. Cars, trucks, and buses must let the pedestrian finish crossing the street.
Traffic Rule 34 RCNY 4- 02 and 4-04(d)
- These rules prohibit drivers from operating their vehicles in a manner that will endanger any person. And that the operator of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian. So the operator of a vehicle must operate their car, truck, or bus in a manner that avoids hitting a pedestrian.
I've Been Involved in a Hit-and-Run What Are My Options?
To recover benefits for a hit and run, you must report the accident to the police within 24 hours of the accident.
Identify the vehicle if possible. If the vehicle can be identified, the normal rules of no-fault and lawsuits apply.
Two Convenient Locations FOR PEDESTRIANS HIT BY CARS
MEET WITH OUR NYC PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYERS
18 West 33rd Street
New York, N.Y. 10001
MEET WITH OUR WHITE PLAINS PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYERS
203 East Post Road
White Plains, N.Y. 10601
A Glowing Testimonial for Mr. Joseph
“Michael's mannerisms and professionalism were spot on. He also kept me up to date on where the case was and exactly what was going on at all times. He fought all the way for my son and never settled. He is a wonderful attorney.” Crystal C.